Under the supervision of the assigned Engineering Manager, a Design Engineer – II is capable of managing the execution of small to medium scale programs, with high complexity, in close collaboration with assigned Project Engineers, Drafting Pool resources and Program Managers. Basic understanding of customer technical, schedule and programmatic requirements, as well as technology and product development are necessary to carry out the program to meet customer expectations.
Coordinates with internal program management to meet customer requirements and execute the program with technical accuracy, consistency, punctuality and profitability. External communication is required with the customer, aircraft manufacturer and any sub tier supplier for the assigned programs as directed by the assigned Design Manager and Program Management. Collaborate on R&D including new materials and processes. Collaborate with sister companies on implementing best practices and sharing resources. Communicates effectively to technical and non-technical staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct all business in an honest and transparent manner with high ethical standards.
- Direct and oversee assigned engineering projects to assure the accomplishment of objectives in a profitable way that meet or exceed expectations related to customer satisfaction and on time delivery.
- Implement design changes with the help of assigned engineering resources (design, simulation, certification, drafting, etc.).
- Prepare and Participate in program milestone meetings such as Preliminary Design Reviews (PDRs), Critical Design Reviews (CDRs), Seat Certification Campaigns, First Article inspections (FAIs), and other applicable meetings.
- Participate in regular team meetings to review schedule performance, cost performance, risk areas and customer satisfaction.
- Support any and all product support issues/teams on assigned projects as needed.
- Support any and all quality related issues in direct relation to the assigned program.
- Participate in training opportunities to enhance skills required to perform this job.
- Participate in lessons learned on programs or program elements in which there has been a lack of success or failure encountered. Document the results in accordance with approved process.
- Domestic and international travel is required for this position, depending on the specific program assignment.
- Propose and assist in formulating new design concepts
- Gather and incorporate data to produce more reliable products.
- Work with the industrial and engineering simulation teams in the early stages of a program to ensure design targets are understood and addressed.
- Communicates technical findings into performance and cost characteristics to both technical and non-technical staff
- Collaborate on R&D including new materials and processes.
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the type of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
EXPECTATIONS In direct relation to the duties and responsibilities listed above:
- Each Design Engineer will be responsible and accountable for On-time Designs.
- Each Design Engineer will be responsible and accountable for Quality of product and services delivered or provided.
- Each Design Engineer will be responsible and accountable for meeting or exceeding the goals and objectives for each of the preceding three items that have been agreed to with their manager or supervisor.
A Design Engineer – II has basic experience in guiding projects to completion and shows proficiency in external and internal communications. Assignments may include planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Participation on the Material Review Board (MRB) may be required, and signature authority may be assigned for specific items.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field or equivalent and 4 or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. The obtaining of industry recognized certifications, licenses and registrations is supported for this position.
Experience needed in working in a 3D environment for 4 plus years and Catia v5 for 2 plus years. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Project, Word and Excel.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Successful candidate shall demonstrate the ability to produce effective means of communicating technical concepts and findings to both technical and non-technical audiences. This includes the ability to communicate effectively by written, verbal, and in-person meetings to approving governing bodies.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.