- Under the supervision of the assigned Engineering Manager, a Design Engineer – III is capable of managing the execution of large scale programs, with high complexity, in close collaboration with assigned Project Engineers, Drafting Pool resources and Design Managers.
- Has excellent understanding of customer technical, schedule and programmatic requirements, as well as technology and product development are necessary to carry out the program to meet customer expectations.
- Coordinates with internal program management to meet customer requirements and execute the program with technical accuracy, consistency, punctuality and profitability.
- External communication is required with the customer, aircraft manufacturer and any sub tier supplier for the assigned programs as directed by the assigned Design Manager and Program Management.
- Communicates effectively to technical and non-technical staff.
- Participate in lessons learned on programs or program elements in which there has been a lack of success or failure encountered.
- Document the results in accordance with approved process.
- Domestic and international travel may be required for this position, depending on the specific program assignment.
- Collaborate on R&F including new materials and processes.
- Collaborate with sister companies on implementing best practices and sharing resources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Direct and oversee assigned Engineering projects, maintain a program schedule, including key program milestones, technical data deliverables and critical path decision dates.
- Implement design changes with the help of assigned engineering resources (design, simulation, certification, drafting, etc.).
- Prepare & participate in preliminary design reviews, (PDR, CDR, FAI, Seat certification campaigns.
- Support BID process, participate in team meetings to review schedule, cost risk areas, customer satisfaction, support all issues on assigned projects.
- Correspond directly with customer, aircraft manufacturer and sub tier supplier as directed and approved by the Manager of Engineering and the assigned Design Manager.
- Ensure that all correspondence is high quality, accurate and timely and respects the intellectual property agreements in place.
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the type of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
EXPECTATIONS In direct relation to the duties and responsibilities listed above:
- Each Design Engineer will be responsible and accountable for On-time Designs.
- Each Design Engineer will be responsible and accountable for Quality of product and services delivered or provided.
- Each Design Engineer will be responsible and accountable for meeting or exceeding the goals and objectives for each of the preceding three items that have been agreed to with their manager or supervisor.
A Design Engineer – III has basic experience in guiding projects to completion and shows proficiency in external and internal communications. Assignments may include researching, testing, certification, proficiency in internal & external communications, plan, assign and direct work addressing & resolving problems, participate in MRB may be required. Guide projects to completion, proficiency in internal & external communications, plan, assign and direct work addressing & resolving problems, participate in MRB may be required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Masters degree desired in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field or equivalent. 10 years related experience in one or more of Design / Manufacture / Materials areas or equivalent
8+ Years 3D Software, 2+ years Catia experience Working knowledge of Microsoft Office:
Read, Analyze, Interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, government regulations, Ability to write reports, business correspondence, & procedure manuals, present information & respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, general public. Successful candidate shall demonstrate the ability to produce effective means of communicating technical concepts and findings to both technical and non-technical audiences. This includes the ability to communicate effectively by written, verbal, and in-person meetings to approving governing bodies.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.n