The Production/ Operations Manager manages scheduling and real-time operations that facilitate the maximization of resources (human and automated) to achieve customer satisfaction, productivity and efficiencies based on business goals. Responsibilities include manage directly, and/or through subordinate supervisors and managers, the work activities and resources necessary to effectively plan, assemble, stock and ship products efficiently. Areas of responsibility include: Production Planning, machine shop, inspection and Stockroom / Shipping / Receiving. Includes responsibility for inventory management and distribution of finished product.
Essential Duties of the Position
- Manage planning, purchasing, machine shop, inspection, and stockroom.
- Monitor and drive KPIs to ensure successful accomplishment of the goals on required intervals.
- Translate company level KPIs to department/ work center/ individual KPIs for clear traceability of goals and actual performance.
- Manage operations performance and confer with technical or administrative staff to resolve production or processing problems.
- Manage LDM processes and drive for best practices in problem solving with emphasis on improved quality, productivity, efficiency and timeliness.
- Manage and drive for accuracy of costing and standards in ERP system.
- Report and represent operational departments in monthly management meetings.
- Ensures external customer satisfaction by decreasing lead time, on time delivery and quality products.
- Ensures both internal customer satisfaction by supporting overall company objectives and inter-departmental needs.
- Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals. Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output. Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
- Develop and implement production tracking and quality control systems, analyzing production, quality control, maintenance, and other operational reports, to detect production problems.
- Review plans and confer with research and support staff to develop new products and processes.
- Ensure continuous process improvements are developed and implemented.
- Review existing and future work load to make recommendations concerning inventory requirements, staffing requirements, work procedures, and duty assignments, considering budgetary limitations and time constraints.
- Develop budget and recommend expenditures for supplies, equipment, and human resources, ensuring that materials, labor and equipment are used efficiently to meet production targets.
- Keeps executive management promptly and fully informed of all problems or matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action.
- Partner with HR to hire, train, evaluate, and discharge staff, and resolve staff issues.
- Ensure worker safety through training, inspections, and pro-active behavior modeling.
Requirements (education, prior work experience, special skills, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, operations management, business management or equivalent and 5-7 years previous operations management experience in a manufacturing environment, including forecasting, scheduling and real-time operations management.
- Experience in a high technology electronic company supported by a precision machine shop required.
- Knowledge required includes industrial production and processing, administration and management, mathematics, machines and tools, personnel management, application of engineering science and technology and customer service.
- Skills needed include strong communication, active listening, judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, reading comprehension, coordination, managing personnel, time management, complex problem solving, and presentation skills.