Transport Engineer with strong, current, fiber optic network, microwave network and data traffic engineering technical skills to help build our 5G network.
The Transport Engineer will be responsible for performing highly complex engineering activities supporting the design, development, and optimization of a wireless network. Transport engineering activities will include backhaul, midhaul and fronthaul, for both lit and dark fiber services as well as microwave per specified design rules and topology guidelines. This role is a key, strategic part of our business and presents an opportunity to implement and optimize the latest networking solutions. This role reports to the Transport Manager, and may require some travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for supporting transport/ traffic portions of network projects such as cell build program, frequency carrier add growth, hardware conversions, fiber to cell initiatives, datacenters, E911, and IP based technologies.
- Perform network integration for transport nodes, cell site routers, and microwave radio devices across multi-vendor platforms.
- Ability to write technical specifications for Dark and Ethernet fiber requirements for procurement
- Experience with pathing, hot cuts, trunking, and migrations.
- Work with management on direction for upcoming transport design programs.
- Expertise in deploying fiber Ethernet to cell site locations required.
- Responsible for assembling site specific source data to auto-generate backhaul network device.
- Field implementation and performance troubleshooting experience is needed.
- Proven ability to work independently and escalate issues appropriately.
- Recommend network improvements to the local RF team.
- Actively contribute to improvements and participate in innovation, lessons learned, and knowledge sharing activities.
- Ensure that work meets all applicable engineering, financial, planning, and operational standards.
- Negotiate with LEC, IXC and CAP carriers for service.
- Excellent communication and follow-up skills a must.
- Ability to plan for work during network maintenance windows and the willingness to perform night work.
- Ability to delivery in fast-paced high volume environment supporting aggressive targets.
- 5-7 + years Wireless Network experience
- Must have a strong understanding of wireless network architecture, infrastructure components, Ethernet ,fiber optic transport and data traffic engineering.
- Ability to manage multiple commitments simultaneously
- Microsoft office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) tools experience required.
- Experience drawing complex system diagrams.
- Bachelor’s Degree; advanced degree preferred
- PathLoss 5 and Google Earth experience required. Planet design experience beneficial
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; climb; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl