Cleans, deburrs, polishes, or grinds items of metal or plastic using hand tools or powered equipment, performing any combination of the following actions: scraping or rubbing parts with a file, wire brush, or buffing cloth. Holds part against buffing or grinding wheel. Deburrs or polishes parts, using portable grinder, buffer, deburring tool, or hand pick. Mounts part on revolving spindle or chuck and holds or moves tools, such as file, abrasive stone, or cloth against work piece to file, grind, polish, or buff surface. Cleans interior surfaces or holes using reamer or deburring tools. Changes tools on powered equipment, applies abrasive compound wax, or other dressing to facilitate cleaning or polishing operation. Some parts are very small and require the use of a microscope. Must be willing to work overtime when required to meet customer demands.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Create optimal surface finish conditions and remove burrs on components using hard tools and automated equipment per blue print or verbal instructions.
- Complies with quality systems, including correctly completing all related documents.
- Experience working with copper and aluminum parts using a deburring tools.
- Experience with detailed work under a microscope is a plus.
- Review and understand deburr callouts on blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, work instructions, work orders or sample part
- Check for machine readiness to ensure functionality and performance
- Use grinding equipment with various types of grinding wheels and Scotch-Brite abrasive wheels to remove burrs. Remove and replace wheels when worn or defective
- Verify conformance of finished work piece to specifications, using precision measuring instruments
- Use hand held deburring knives to remove heavy burrs
- Performs general maintenance and upkeep of deburr area
- Adheres to all workplace safety guidelines, policies, and laws determined by the company, state, and federal authorities
- Report problems, discrepancies, anomalies in a timely manner.
- Work independently, follows instructions, can concentrate for long periods of time
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to use a drop indicator for measuring
- Able to lapp parts to achieve dimension and flatness
Requirements (education, prior work experience, special skills, etc.)
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum 6 years experience in machine shop environment.
- Minimum 3 years experience in detail department a plus.
- Machine shop math (Trigonometry and basic math).
- Ability to read blueprints. Trained on GD&T