Role and Responsibilities
Estimators are responsible for evaluating bid specifications and drawings, ensuring the knowledge required to successfully estimate costs for the project. Estimators also work with construction division team during turn-over.
- Analyze blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Assess cost effectiveness of products, projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to bids as the project develops.
- Consult with engineers, architects, owners, contractors, vendors, subcontractors, and personnel in other departments to ensure accuracy of the estimates.
- Review labor requirements, to decide whether it is more cost-effective to fabricate or purchase components.
- Maintain costs and other necessary documents at regular intervals on design build and design assist projects.
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Collect feedback and maintain historical costs database on completed projects to ensure accuracy on future estimates.
- Collect site condition information (access, water, electrical, etc) to ensure accuracy of cost estimates.
- Formulate due dates for "take-off” jobs, job preparation, and RFI deadlines
- Review projects and identify potential value engineering solutions. Provide information to sales team to assist in closing the sale.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years of trade specific knowledge
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures
- Ability to read and write English
- Strong communication skills
Business Development ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Seek new sales opportunities for the company to bid.
- Meet with potential clients to define project specifications, budgets and time lines.
- Prospect, develop, secure and maintain positive client relationships.
- Manage conflict resolution between client and company.
- Maintain and develop a customer and prospect database with bid/proposal feedback & reesults.
- Plan and carry out direct marketing activities within agreed budgets, sales volumes, values, product mix and timescales.
- Respond to and follow up sales enquiries.
- Monitor and report on activities and provide relevant management information.
- Carry out market research, competitor and customer surveys.
- Liaise and attend meetings with other company functions necessary to perform duties and aid business and organizational development.
- Attend training and to develop relevant knowledge and skills.