Performs work involving the application of civil engineering skills for evaluation, scoping, development/improvement and construction of civil and public works projects. Selects design/evaluation procedures and criteria for a variety of projects and is the engineer-of-record responsible for engineering work products. Conducts the engineering work and/or directs/reviews the work of staff. Applies extensive knowledge of engineering principles and practices, identifies the need for work by other design professionals, and collaborates with other professionals in projects requiring broad professional practice areas. Uses advanced techniques, theory, practices, and judgment. Applies innovations to designs. Supervision, mentoring and training of staff required.
May serve as Client Manager, Project Manager, Project Engineer or Senior Engineer
As a Client Manager- Tracks project work by the project team and provides senior consultation/guidance to the client and project team. Develop and maintain good relationships with clients, contractors, and other design professionals.
As a Project Manager -Tracks/manages project scope, schedules and budgets.
As a Project Engineer -Is the licensed engineer responsible for the products of professional services.
- 5 or more years of relevant progressive experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Master's degree preferred.
- QSD/P with knowledge of storm water protection and water quality control practices.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite applications and engineering design software such as AutoCAD Civil 3D or MicroStation.
- Succinct technical writing style.
- California Professional Engineer Registration required.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accurate - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely. Ability to prepare organized and clear reports with adequate data/background that are written succinctly, with correct grammar, and with concise technical report style.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Organized - Ability to be structured and methodical in working skills.
- Reliability - Ability to be dependable and trustworthy.
- Self-Motivated - Ability to perform a task to the best of one's ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
- Technical Aptitude - Ability to relate to topics which require an understanding or specialized knowledge and seeks/applies new knowledge and innovation.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given competing deadlines.
- Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
- Competency - Ability to be a trusted advisor to all internal and external team members.
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate engineering work involving conventional and innovative engineering practices, design/evaluation techniques, and evaluation techniques.
- Evaluate a variety of complex issues such as conflicting design/permitting requirements.
- Work independently and collaborate with the project development team.
- Develops and holds responsibility for design recommendations, adaptations, and modifications.
- Perform and/or directs calculations/engineering evaluations using engineering formulas and skills.
- Complete design work using computer-aided or manual techniques.
- Directs, prepares and reviews project drawings and sketches in conjunction with other technical staff.
- Performs peer review for supervised staff and seeks peer review from a Principal before professional product release.
- Prepares stamped reports and correspondence concerning assigned projects.
- Serves as a technical advisor to project team members, clients, and other design professionals.
- Oversees and directs work by staff-level persons.
- Prepares and performs evaluation of supervised staff.
- Mentors and assists junior staff through training, career development and skills improvement.
- Develop business and new clients; maintains relationships with current and past clients.
- Develops work scopes and fee estimates. Prepares proposals and negotiates scope/fee revisions with clients.
- This position will require the ability to sit at a desk working four to eight hours with appropriate rest and meal breaks.
- Ability to visit project sites for evaluation in the scoping, planning and execution of projects.
- Ability to perform observation/monitoring/documentation at construction or project sites.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), protective clothing, possibly a respirator, etc.
- Ability to monitor a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 20 lbs. on occasion.
- Ability to travel 10-40% throughout the markets we serve (primarily Northern California).